Parallels Virtuozzo Containers for Windows has limitations for application templates.
Template creation is not possible for software with at least one of the following requirements:
- Access to external hosts over the network. This includes any kind of activity – external database connection, network activation, update downloading, etc.
NOTE: However, it is possible to create a template from an application that is continually updated (Firefox, Adobe Reader, etc.) if you prohibit these updates in the Template Creation Wizard.
- Bridged networking mode for the temporary Container (there is no option to create the temporary Container with bridged networking mode in Template Creation Wizard).
- The temporary Container to be joined to Active Directory domain or to another AD functionality, since this needs external network access.
- User interaction in the template pre-install and/or post-install scripts.
- Dependency on network parameters of the temporary Container: IP address, netmask, MAC address, etc.
- Setting custom DACL on registry hives.
- Unsupported drivers to be launched inside Containers.
- Roles or Features to be installed (Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 specific) if such Roles and Features were not installed in Container before applying the template to it.
- Localization of template information is not supported: template information should contain only English characters (ASCII symbols).
If a software does not require any of these items, there should not be problems with template creation.